LITHUANIA : SOVIET PERIOD
KAUNAS AND OTHER PLACES : STATUES ...
Kaunas: the 'Monument of the Four Communards', 'Keturių komunarų paminklas'.
This monument, pictured on the card here, had in Soviet time a place in Kaunas, but now it is also part of the collection of Grutas Park.
Original print size of this image: 14,944 x 10,753 cm (is something more as the postal item)
This picture and all pictures below on this page, if not mentioned otherwise: scanned about 300 dpi. Then set right and cut out - noted the actual print size-, resized 25 % of this image and saved as jpg.
The backside: the card is a postal stationery with an imprinted stamp
In Kaunas is also a very special monument re-erected: the liberty-monument 'Laisve' (Freedom).
Postal stationery, issued 25-4-1990, with the statue.
Overprinted with the text: 'Lietuvos Respublikos nepriklausomybė atkurta 1990 m. kovo 11 d.':
Original print size of this image: 16,493 x 11,667 cm (is something more as the postal item)
In 1921 the well-known monument is made by the Lithuanian artist Juozas Zikaras (1881-1944). Celebrating the 10th anniversary of the independence, the monument is unveiled on 16 february 1928: a bronze angel with the Lithuanian flag on the right shoulder and the broken shackles in the right hand. The statue was placed on a white stone pedestal in the garden of the War-museum.
The monument survived World War II, but in 1950 the communist authorities ordered to destroy the monument. All monuments in the garden of the War-museum were destroyed, but the Freedom-statue was -damaged- placed in the M.K. Ciurlionis State-museum. Later it is repaired and exhibited.
The pedastal was complete destroyed, but with the original notes of Juozas Zikaras citizens have reconstructed the pedestal. Here in 1989 the original statue is placed. On 16 february 1989 -independence-day again- the Freedom-monument is unveiled again.
The original plaster statue is property of the War-museum and is placed in the palace of the president of Lithuania.
The picture-side of this card shows a monument in Kryzkalnis, made by Bronius Vysniauskas. Originally it is designed for 'Soviet Army - Liberator', and often called 'Kryzkalnis Mother'. 'Kryzkalnis' means 'Hill on a cross-point'. She stood on a hill with her face to the west, so people say often 'She is waiting for the liberators from the west, not from the east'.
This monument is now also in Grutas Park.
Original print size of this image: 14,969 x 10,702 cm (is something more as the postal item)
The backside of the card, postal stationery.
The monument can also be seen on a postal stationery, issued 16-12-1974.
Original print size of this image: 16,493 x 11,616 cm (is something more as the postal item)
The text, resized 50 %.
Another postal stationery, issued 19-2-1985.
Original print size of this image: 16,544 x 11,743 cm (is something more as the postal item)
More about the postmarks of Kaunas:see Places: postmarks and more : Kaunas